Lebanon’s entire govt resigns following last week’s deadly explosion in Beirut

Lebanon’s Prime Minister Hassan Diab during a news conference on Monday announced that his government resigns from power almost every week after the huge explosion that devastated the capital, Beirut, killing some 200 people and wounding 6,000 others.

“I declare today the resignation of this government,” he said at a news conference at the presidential palace on Monday after several members of his 20-person cabinet announced their own resignations.

Beirut Explosion: a minimum of 78 killed, nearly 4,000 people injured in massive blast at city’s industrial portBeirut Explosion: a minimum of 78 killed, nearly 4,000…Beirut Blast: George and Amal Clooney donate $100,000 to Lebanese charities Beirut
“We carried the demand of the Lebanese for change. We fought fiercely and with honour, [but] we arrived here today, to the present earthquake that hit the country and that we today revert to the people… to their will for real change,” he said.

“Only God knows what percentage catastrophes they’re hiding,” Diab said.

“They (the political class) should are ashamed of themselves because their corruption is what has led to the present disaster that had been hidden for seven years,” he said.

“That’s why I even have announced my resignation today. May Allah protect Lebanon. May Allah protect Lebanon. May Allah protect Lebanon.”

Lebanon’s Justice Minister Marie Claude Najm, Information Minister Manal Abdel Samad, and Environment Minister Damianos Kattar all resigned from their respective posts.

Anti-government demonstrations erupted across Beirut, triggered by last week’s devastating explosion. Protesters and critics of the govt have blamed corruption and criticized poor leadership at the guts of Lebanon’s government for the explosion.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *